After years of happily storing all of the personal information in our lives with what seemed like no intention to give us access to it, Facebook has finally given users the option of downloading their data (photos, wall posts and other information).
Introducing Facebook’s new “Archive”. The Archive allows you to download your previously hoarded personal information and includes the following:
- Any photos or videos you’ve shared on Facebook
- Your Wall posts, messages and chat conversations
- Your friends’ names and some of their email addresses
To download your Archive, follow these steps:
1. Go to “Account Settings”
2. Click on the well hidden link “Download a copy of your Facebook data” at the bottom of
3. Click “Start my Archive” and follow the instructions from there.
I have yet to download my own archive as I am afraid of the heftiness of all those photos and videos I’ve uploaded. Perhaps I’ll wait to download it overnight at work. Anyways, for those who did not know about it, you’re welcome. It’s a nice safety net to know that the identity you’ve created on Facebook is not completely in control by Facebook.